I encourage my clients to focus on protein and produce when creating meals. For many, having protein readily available is a challenge. Chicken cooked in the crock pot is an easy way to have protein available when you get home form a busy day at work. I make the chicken ahead of time over the weekend so that I can just throw things together on the day we’re going to eat it. Here are some recipe ideas using boneless skinless chicken breast:
To prepare your chicken ahead of time, place chicken in the crock pot, season with salt (or any flavor of Mrs. Dash or herbs you like) and pepper. Cover with water, low sodium chicken stock, or a jar of salsa, and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove from crock pot and shred with two forks. Now that you’re protein is cooked, let the fun begin! Ideas:
- Make Chicken Pizza– Build a pizza using a thin pre-made pizza crust, high fiber English muffins, 80 calorie sandwich buns or Brownberry Italian Seasoned Pita Thins (Costco, Dahl’s and Hy-Vee). Add pizza sauce (or spaghetti sauce), crock pot chicken, Hormel Turkey Pepperoni, chopped bell peppers, mushrooms, 2% cheese and onions. Bake at 350 for about 7-10 minutes. Enjoy your pizza with a side salad with light ranch dressing.
- Make Quesadillas-Season chicken with garlic powder, sea salt and pepper then layer it between two 50 calorie low carb tortillas like La Tortilla Factory Brand, add 2% cheese and toast in a skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Serve with salsa and veggie sticks.
- Make Salad-Season chicken to your liking and make a big salad. Make your side a bowl of blueberries topped with half a carton Weight Watcher’s Lemon Cream Pie Low Calorie Yogurt.
- Make Enchilada Pie-Season the chicken with garlic, cumin, salt and pepper (Or simply use low sodium taco seasoning if you prefer). In an 8 inch baking pan, place a small amount of enchilada sauce, then a small corn tortilla-use a knife to spread the tortilla with a tablespoon of seasoned refried beans-then add about a half a cup of seasoned chicken and sprinkle lightly with 2% cheese and chopped onion. Continue the layers until you reach the top of the pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Cut yourself a slice and serve with Light Sour Cream and a side salad with Kraft Light Ranch Dressing.
- Make Chicken Nachos using Tostitos Baked Scoops (or toss chopped up corn tortillas sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkled with sea salt into a 400 degree oven for 3-6 minutes), add seasoned, low fat refried beans, onions, tomatoes and a sprinkle of 2% shredded cheese. Microwave for 10-15 seconds and serve with salsa and light sour cream.